Monday, November 28, 2016

Early surf boat, said to be Tathra Club’s first:

There are perhaps few more iconic symbols of popular Australian culture and history than a surf boat slicing through the waves.

Sly Brothers apparently introduced the first boat for surf rescue at Manly Beach in 1895, a small fishing row boat. This was followed by a double ended ship life boat. In 1906, Bronte surf club member Walter Biddell designed “Surf King”, a catamaran style vessel made of timber, tin and canvas with kapok-stuffed tubes; and then “Albatross”, a double-ender with buoyancy tanks. A major innovation in surf boat design came in 1911 when Fred Notting of the Manly club developed a vessel based on Norwegian design that became known as the “banana boat”.



 There is some debate as to whether Bronte or Bondi were home to the first surf life saving club, but nonetheless, the sport rapidly spread from Sydney beaches to the south coast. Kiama, the first club outside Sydney, was founded in 1908 and just three years later, Tathra’s was established.

The Southern Star newspaper had reported on 16 August, 1911 that “Surf-bathing has started at Tathra. Another effort should be made to form a surf club and secure proper dressing quarters and a life line.” Residents were quick to respond, and on 13 December that year, about twenty people attended a meeting in the Bega picture theatre “…for the purpose of forming a surf club…” Called the Tathra Surf Club, the colours were blue with white edgings and a shield on the left breast bearing the letters “T. S. C.”




Although details as to when the club got their first boat are sketchy, the secretary was instructed at their 1920 annual meeting “…to write to the Navigation Department re a surf boat…”   

David Payne, Curator of Historic Vessels at the Australian National Maritime Museum, pictured inspecting the surf boat to develop a Conservation Management Plan and also for inclusion on the Australian Register of Historic Vessels.
This early surf boat of timber design and originally featuring a waterproofed canvas skin is on display at the Tathra Wharf Museum.



© Angela George. All rights reserved.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Exit lamp made from recycled oil tin for use at Nethercote Hall:

An exit lamp made from a repurposed oil tin with the word “EXIT” cut out of the metal. Red glass highlights the wording and it was probably backlit with a candle. This piece was made for use in the Nethercote Hall.

From the earliest of days after European settlement, "making do" was a familiar aspect of Australian life. People had to learn to adapt and improvise for even the simplest of things with whatever was available. This resulted in a culture of inventiveness and ingenuity where nothing was wasted and imagination turned out that which was needed or wanted with what was at hand. The Nethercote Hall exit light is a fabulous example of how our forebears recycled long before the term was fashionable.








Nethercote exit lamp.
Courtesy of a private collection.


Moves towards establishing a School of Arts hall at Nethercote began when a public meeting was called in 1899 to consider the idea. With the local community clearly supporting the proposal, fundraising commenced and by August that year the Nethercote Progress Association had secured a site. Although a slow, drawn out process, the community did not give up and in 1910 the construction tender was finally awarded to Mr. A. Wright.

Completed in October, a grand ball was staged to mark the occasion when it was reported that “The very welcome rain commenced to fall at about midnight, and this only added to the enjoyment as the copious downpour gladdened the hearts of all present, and dancing was continued until daylight.”

Within a year, tenders for additions were called, the contract being awarded to Mr. Dunn. Furthers extensions were made in 1914 and 1926.

Nethercote Hall remained the heart of the community for many years, but by the 1960s dairying was in decline. With the population dwindling the local school also closed its doors. Finally, in 1969, the Nethercote Progress Association ceased to function, and the hall gradually fell into disrepair. By the 1980s, it was virtually derelict.


During the 1990s however the population began to grow again and the idea of revamping the old hall gathered pace. Over a twelve year period from 1996, fundraising was undertaken until in October 2009 a grand re-opening was held. 

© Angela George. All rights reserved.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Hand-made Union Jack flag, used locally during WWI recruiting rallies.

A hand-sewn Union Jack flag, made by Alice Maud Baddeley of Pambula and used by her husband Charles Arthur Baddeley during recruitment rallies and meetings in and around the Pambula district during WWI.

Courtesy of a private collection.

Alice Maude Baddeley.
Courtesy of a private collection

Involved in many facets of the local community, Charles was appointed to the local Bench of Magistrates in 1882; the licensing bench in 1890; and the Eden Local Land Board in 1900. He served as coroner for the Eden Police District from 1895; and deputy licensing magistrate from 1898. After establishment of local government he was elected to the Imlay Shire Council and became the Shire President in 1907.

As well as serving as trustee for facilities such as the Pambula Recreation Reserve (now known as Panboola) and the Pambula General Cemetery, he was also an active member and sometimes committeeman of numerous local groups including the local Masonic Lodge, Lodge Baddeley, named in his father’s honour; the Pambula Local School Board; Pambula School of Arts; Eden-Pambula Cottage Hospital (now Pambula District Hospital), Pambula Football Club, Pambula Cricket Club, Pambula River Aquatic Club and Pambula Progress Association.

Although too old to enlist himself, Charles was actively involved in local recruitment activities from the outbreak of WWI, continuing until the armistice in 1918.
Charles Arthur Baddeley.
Courtesy of a private collection.

© Angela George. All rights reserved.



Pair of early scrimshawed whale teeth from Davidson Whaling Station.

Pair of scrimshawed teeth originating from the Davidson family's Kiah whaling station. The scrimshander (or artist) is unknown. 
Front (face) engraving on the two whales' teeth.
Courtesy of a private collection.
Rear (back) engraving on the pair of whales' teeth.
Courtesy of a private collection.
"Bay Whaling off the Boyd Town Light House, Twofold Bay", by O. W. Brierly.
Courtesy of the State Library of NSW.
Scrimshaw, the art of engraving and carving materials such as bone or ivory, has been practiced for centuries. Pieces were traditionally created by whalers using by-products of the catch, including sperm whale bones and teeth, the baleen of other species, and walrus tusks.

Twofold Bay, situated as it is on the main migratory route travelled by a number of commercially valuable whale species, unsurprisingly became the focus for whaling activity early in colonial times. Thomas Raine established mainland Australia’s first shore based station at Twofold Bay in 1828, and others soon followed: among them the Imlay brothers in the 1830s; the Walker family and Scottish-born entrepreneur Benjamin Boyd in the 1840s.
George Davidson (right) with a collection of whaling tools.
Courtesy of the National Library of Australia.
It was in the wake of Boyd’s financial collapse that Alexander Davidson entered the industry. After purchasing equipment from Boyd’s bankrupt estate, Alexander and his son John commenced a business that would span three generations and involve many members of the extended family.

As well as European whalers, the Davidson’s also employed indigenous crew members and the family business soon embraced the close symbiotic relationship that the local Yuin people had shared with the pods of Twofold Bay killers (or Beowas as they knew them) for centuries. Although other whaling parties came and went, it was this co-operative association that always put the Davidson crews ahead of others in the hunt for the lucrative giants of the sea.

One of the Davidson boats whaling in Twofold Bay, with Old Tom alongside.
Courtesy of the National Library of Australia.
The third generation, George Davidson, commenced his whaling days around the age of 14 and by the 1890s had taken over the family business. However, development of alternative products led to dwindling demand for whale oil and bone and, accompanied by the falling number of killers returning annually to the Bay, the family’s annually catch continued to decline. Finally, the death of “Old Tom” in 1930 spelled the end of the Davidson’s Twofold Bay operation.

Today, Davidson’s whaling station is maintained and operated as an historic site by National Parks and Wildlife Service.


These local examples of scrimshaw are crude and unsophisticated in style, indicating that the artist was not particularly proficient in the practice of scrimshandering when they were made. These pieces are privately owned.

Courtesy of a private collection.
Courtesy of a private collection.
Courtesy of a private collection.
Courtesy of a private collection.


© Angela George. All rights reserved.

Collection of Emley embossed glass soft drink bottles:

A collection of four different embossed glass patent soft drink bottles from Emley's cordial factory, Bega and Pambula.

"W. R. Emley, Bega" embossed
7 ounce Chapman patent aerated
water bottle, C. 1880s.
Courtesy of a private collection.

"W. R. Emley & Co., Bega" embossed 13 ounce two-tear Niagra patent aerated waters bottle, C. 1892.
Courtesy of a private collection.

"W. R. Emley, Bega" embossed 13 ounce Lamont patent aerated water bottle, C. 1892.
Courtesy of a private collection.

"W. R. Emley, Bega & Pambula" embossed 13 ounce four-dimple Dobson patent aerated water bottle, C. 1895.
Courtesy of a private collection.
During the 18th, 19th & early 20th centuries cordial & aerated water manufacturers were a common site even in the smallest of towns across Australia. The far south coast was no exception.

William Robert Emley established his Auckland Street, Bega, manufactory in 1879 after moving from the NSW town of Gundagai, where he had previously operated a similar enterprise in partnership with a Mr. Myers.

Popular with residents across the local region, his drinks were served to the then Premier of NSW Sir Henry Parks during his 1888 visit to the district & so pleased was he with their quality, he later wrote, requesting a supply be sent to him in Sydney, reportedly commenting “Your ginger beer is the best I have ever tasted…”

W. R. Emley and Co.'s Bega cordial works, C. 1893.
William Emley continued to run the business until November 1891 when he sold out to Mr. T. H. Notley, formerly of Nowra in the Shoalhaven district. With experience “…in the old country…” he opted to maintain the reputation associated with the name & traded as W. R. Emley & Company. In 1892 he added kola to the list of beverages available, promoting it as “The best tonic going, & a valuable aid to digestion…” The same year, he expanded operations by taking over the nearby Pambula factory previously conducted by Corry & Co. Three years later, the Bega works of W. A. Furniss was also added.

By 1893, the business was supplying thirteen hotels across the region & in September that year the Australian Town & Country reported on their “…large & commodious premises…” noting that “the most modern machinery necessary for the manufacture of waters & non-alcoholic beverages has just been purchased without regard to cost, & is in full swing…”


W. R. Emley & Co. continued to operate until 1896, when the business was taken over by J. E. Jackson.

© Angela George. All rights reserved.

Collection of original Greenpoint Winery labels.

A collection of paper labels used at the Greenpoint (Millingandi) winery run by the Woollard family.



All courtesy of a private collection.

Wines had been made in the local region as early as the 1860s, after James Manning had planted his vineyard at Warragaburra near Bega.

Courtesy of a private collection.
Taking a leaf out of Manning’s book, Wollongong wine maker (or vigneron) Matthew Henry Woollard purchased land at Greenpoint on the southern side of the Merimbula Lake in the area now known as Millingandi in the late 1870’s. There he planted grape vines & began production at his Green Point Winery. He was joined in the trade by his wife & later by one of their sons, Thomas Herbert Woollard.

In 1891, following the death of 64-year-old Matthew, Thomas took over the business. It is uncertain exactly when Woollard’s Green Point Winery ceased to produce, but “H. W. Woollard” was listed as a vigneron at Pambula in both the 1903 & 1905 Sand’s Country Directories. Thomas Herbert Woollard died in 1953. 


Wines produced by Woollard’s Green Point Winery included sherry, port & hermitage.

Courtesy of a private collection.
© Angela George. All rights reserved.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Pambula Cricket Club cricket ball trophy, 1895:

Courtesy of a private collection.

Donated by local general store keepers Goldberg Brothers and Co. for the best bowling average in the 1895 season, this cricket ball trophy was won by Charles ArthurBaddeley.


Charles Arthur Baddeley
Charles Arthur Baddeley had arrived in Pambula in 1866 after his parents moved to the town to establish a leather tannery business.

Involved in many facets of the local community, he was appointed to the local Bench of Magistrates in 1882; the licensing bench in 1890; and the Eden Local Land Board in 1900. He served as coroner for the Eden Police District from 1895; and deputy licensing magistrate from 1898. He was named as trustee for facilities such as the Pambula Recreation Reserve and the Pambula General Cemetery and when local government was introduced he stood for and was elected as the first President of the Imlay Shire Council in 1907.

An active member of the local Masonic Lodge, Lodge Baddeley, so named in his father’s honour, Charles Arthur Baddeley also served on the committee of a range of other local community organisations including the Pambula Local School Board, Pambula School of Arts, Eden-Pambula Cottage Hospital (now Pambula District Hospital), Pambula Football Club, Pambula River Aquatic Club and Pambula Progress Association,

A keen cricketer, he played for many years with the Pambula Cricket Club. He also served on the committee and from 1925 was club patron. In 1885 he was part of the local team that played Alfred Shaw’s English XI at Kameruka and for sixty years reputedly never missed a local match or a test in Sydney.

© Angela George. All rights reserved.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Collection of V. J. Cornell, chemist, Pambula, embossed bottles:

Chemists have played an important role in Pambula’s medical community since well before the dawn of the 20th century. Among their number was locally born and raised Vincent John (“Vin”) Cornell, who, like others of the time, had his own glass chemist bottles manufactured. These were available in four sizes, and were embossed with his business details.


Above and below:
Detail of the embossing on V. J. Cornell's chemist bottles.
(From a private collection)

Above: The four sizes of V. J. Cornell's chemist bottles.
(From a private collection)

Cornell's pharmacy, in Quondola Street, Pambula.
(From a private collection)
The son of Pambula Post and Telegraph Master E. J. Cornell, Vin was educated at Pambula Public School before going on to St. Joseph’s College secondary school at Hunter’s Hill on the Lower North Shore of Sydney. From there he took up a position to study chemistry at Washington H. Soul’s establishment in 1904 and graduated from the Sydney University’s Faculty of Pharmacy in 1909.

December of the same year saw the young graduate return to Pambula, having purchased the town’s chemist business, and it was reported that he “…intends running it on up-to-date lines.” The following year he opened a branch store in Eden and in 1911 further expanded the business when, in partnership with Mr. Self, he purchased the Bega chemist of George Whyte.


P. 87 of the Illawarra & South Coast Steam Navigation
Company handbook, 1912.

(From a private collection)

The 2nd edition of the Illawarra and South Coast Steam Navigation Company’s 1912 handbook noted that “…sauntering further along Quondola Street, the visitor will be attracted by the inviting appearance of Mr. V. J. Cornell’s pharmacy. Mr. Cornell M. P. S. is one of the leading men in Pambula, who has the progress of the town and district at heart. His drug store is a model of up-to-date, scientific management, where medicines may be carefully made up and patented proprietary articles, toilet requisites, scents, soaps and all kinds of sundries obtained…”


Mr. Cornell remained in Pambula until 1915, when he disposed of his chemist business to Mr. E. Marsden. Of his departure, the Pambula Voice reported “Before Mr. Cornell came to Pambula, this district did not have the advantage of a modern chemist’s shop, with all the conveniences and requirements demanded by an intelligent public. It is also a great convenience to people in the country to be able to get first class services and goods handy at a very slight advance in city prices. This is what Mr. Cornell has provided…”

Above: Accounts issued by V. J. Cornell.
(From a private collection)

© Angela George. All rights reserved.