Monday, July 25, 2016

Exit lamp made from recycled oil tin for use at Nethercote Hall:

An exit lamp made from a repurposed oil tin with the word “EXIT” cut out of the metal. Red glass highlights the wording and it was probably backlit with a candle. This piece was made for use in the Nethercote Hall.

From the earliest of days after European settlement, "making do" was a familiar aspect of Australian life. People had to learn to adapt and improvise for even the simplest of things with whatever was available. This resulted in a culture of inventiveness and ingenuity where nothing was wasted and imagination turned out that which was needed or wanted with what was at hand. The Nethercote Hall exit light is a fabulous example of how our forebears recycled long before the term was fashionable.








Nethercote exit lamp.
Courtesy of a private collection.


Moves towards establishing a School of Arts hall at Nethercote began when a public meeting was called in 1899 to consider the idea. With the local community clearly supporting the proposal, fundraising commenced and by August that year the Nethercote Progress Association had secured a site. Although a slow, drawn out process, the community did not give up and in 1910 the construction tender was finally awarded to Mr. A. Wright.

Completed in October, a grand ball was staged to mark the occasion when it was reported that “The very welcome rain commenced to fall at about midnight, and this only added to the enjoyment as the copious downpour gladdened the hearts of all present, and dancing was continued until daylight.”

Within a year, tenders for additions were called, the contract being awarded to Mr. Dunn. Furthers extensions were made in 1914 and 1926.

Nethercote Hall remained the heart of the community for many years, but by the 1960s dairying was in decline. With the population dwindling the local school also closed its doors. Finally, in 1969, the Nethercote Progress Association ceased to function, and the hall gradually fell into disrepair. By the 1980s, it was virtually derelict.


During the 1990s however the population began to grow again and the idea of revamping the old hall gathered pace. Over a twelve year period from 1996, fundraising was undertaken until in October 2009 a grand re-opening was held. 

© Angela George. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment