Sunday, July 24, 2016

Collection of Emley embossed glass soft drink bottles:

A collection of four different embossed glass patent soft drink bottles from Emley's cordial factory, Bega and Pambula.

"W. R. Emley, Bega" embossed
7 ounce Chapman patent aerated
water bottle, C. 1880s.
Courtesy of a private collection.

"W. R. Emley & Co., Bega" embossed 13 ounce two-tear Niagra patent aerated waters bottle, C. 1892.
Courtesy of a private collection.

"W. R. Emley, Bega" embossed 13 ounce Lamont patent aerated water bottle, C. 1892.
Courtesy of a private collection.

"W. R. Emley, Bega & Pambula" embossed 13 ounce four-dimple Dobson patent aerated water bottle, C. 1895.
Courtesy of a private collection.
During the 18th, 19th & early 20th centuries cordial & aerated water manufacturers were a common site even in the smallest of towns across Australia. The far south coast was no exception.

William Robert Emley established his Auckland Street, Bega, manufactory in 1879 after moving from the NSW town of Gundagai, where he had previously operated a similar enterprise in partnership with a Mr. Myers.

Popular with residents across the local region, his drinks were served to the then Premier of NSW Sir Henry Parks during his 1888 visit to the district & so pleased was he with their quality, he later wrote, requesting a supply be sent to him in Sydney, reportedly commenting “Your ginger beer is the best I have ever tasted…”

W. R. Emley and Co.'s Bega cordial works, C. 1893.
William Emley continued to run the business until November 1891 when he sold out to Mr. T. H. Notley, formerly of Nowra in the Shoalhaven district. With experience “…in the old country…” he opted to maintain the reputation associated with the name & traded as W. R. Emley & Company. In 1892 he added kola to the list of beverages available, promoting it as “The best tonic going, & a valuable aid to digestion…” The same year, he expanded operations by taking over the nearby Pambula factory previously conducted by Corry & Co. Three years later, the Bega works of W. A. Furniss was also added.

By 1893, the business was supplying thirteen hotels across the region & in September that year the Australian Town & Country reported on their “…large & commodious premises…” noting that “the most modern machinery necessary for the manufacture of waters & non-alcoholic beverages has just been purchased without regard to cost, & is in full swing…”


W. R. Emley & Co. continued to operate until 1896, when the business was taken over by J. E. Jackson.

© Angela George. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment